Wife of jailed Saudi blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes condemns the country while speaking at the UN, two years after she shared horrific footage of flogging that nearly killed him
- Ensaf Haider has spoken to the UN Human Rights Council to attack Saudi Arabia
- She said it was the first time she had spoken to a representative of the country
- Her husband, Raif Badawi, was arrested after blogging about freedom of speech
- Saudi religious court claims that the father-of-three’s posts had ‘insulted Islam’
- Two years later, he was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment and 1,000 lashes
- He received 50 lashes in 2015 – which nearly killed him – and now has 950 ‘to go’
The wife of a Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes for ‘insulting Islam’ has told the UN that it should kick her country off the Human Rights Council.
Ensaf Haidar, who fled to Canada with the couple’s three children in 2013, spoke to the council in Geneva about her husband, Raif Badawi.
He was convicted in 2013 for ‘insulting Islam through electronic channels’ after creating a website called Free Saudi Liberals.
Haider said she seized the ‘unique opportunity’ to address the council on behalf of NGO UN Watch because it was the ‘first time I have ever been able to speak directly to a Saudi representative.’